Skip to main content

2014, February: Finally Here!

I finally have a moment to write and there's a lot to catch up on. Apologies that this post will be long! We made the drive over from Baltimore to Idaho Falls in 3.5 days. It was an amazingly problem-free journey. We didn't encounter any snow or rain, just heavy winds through Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming, which were a little freaky in the RV. The cats did well. Wagner and Rearden were the happiest, exploring the space and hanging out in the cab with us.

Penny took a little longer to get over her fear, but then did fine. Jellybean and Poppy were consistently pathetic. Whenever the vehicle was moving they buried themselves under whatever they could find, and pressed their faces against the wall. As soon as we stopped moving, however, they reverted to normal. For more photos and cat stories, check out MovingFiveCatstoIdaho on Tumblr and my Flickr set.

We arrived at the new house on Friday, January 31. Saturday we made the 6-hour round trip to Salt Lake City to return the RV, and Sunday we retrieved the bed from Christian's apartment so we could get some decent sleep before both heading to work on Monday. Our belongings arrived the following Friday and we began to unpack.

Unpacking sucks.

It was great that the moving company (paid for through Christian's relocation) carefully wrapped and packed everything. It saved me a lot of time and stress in Baltimore. However, there are three main problems with having other people pack your stuff:
  1. Even though they have labeled every box with the main items in that box, they don't necessarily have the same opinion as we do about what a "main item" is. They labeled the iron, but not my cowboy boots (clearly, they don't know me). They labeled random craft supplies, but not curtains. They also packed in weird and wonderful ways - items that were not at all within proximity of each other were wrapped together. My Chronicles of Narnia books were in three different boxes, for example, even though they were in a neat line together in Baltimore. The modem was in a box with my art supplies (and found entirely by chance). As a result, searching for one particular item that isn't documented on any of the labels can take a loooonnnnnng time.
  2. There was no motivation for us to get rid of stuff. We ended up with 188 massive boxes and a grand total of 470 "tagged items." If we had been sorting and wrapping and hauling all of that, we definitely would have gotten rid of more crap.
  3. They. Wrap. Everything. They wrapped a bundle of rubber bands. They wrapped a single bar of soap. They wrapped the shredded paper from our shredder. It took me two full days to unpack the kitchen because every possible thing was wrapped in crazy quantities of paper (which also had to be folded and packed away in boxes to avoid us getting lost forever in several tons of crumpled paper). Ugh.
Despite all of this, the main level of our house is finally starting to feel like home. You can move in the bedroom, find dishes in the kitchen, and sit on a sofa (the joy!) in the living room. If I ignore the basement, the shed, and the office, then I can pretend that we're almost done. One thing that I never appreciated about the Baltimore house is the amount of storage that it had. There were closets everywhere and we did a mighty fine job of filling them all. This house (while being almost exactly the same size as the Bmore one, only on 2 levels instead of 4), does not offer the same closet-wonder and there is a definite need for more shelves. But I love the old farmhousey-ness of it. I love that the rooms are finished, painted, and without holes. There are fancy light fixtures, no wobbly tiles, and we have antler curtain rails in the bedroom. You can see mountains from the kitchen window on a clear day. Mountains! It's a good job that I like it, really, because we are Never Moving Again.

Finally (for now), my new job. I'm in my third week as Visual Arts Director for the Idaho Falls Arts Council and while everything is still overwhelming, I'm starting to enjoy it.


I'm managing the development of a new facility, the "ARTitorium on Broadway," which will be an interactive art center (we're on Facebook!) with art-making software, a virtual gallery of art, found-object sculpture tables, stop-frame animation, a green screen room, and more. The pros: It's an innovative project that is unlike anything I've seen before. The philosophy that art should be fun is one that is very close to my heart. I get to make decisions about decor, programs, hardware, etc. The cons: The project has been in the works for several years. Things that made sense for a technology project in 2009 do not necessarily make sense today. I was late to get started (they wanted me to begin in November) and there is a lot of work that needs to be done. But we'll make it happen and it will be fabulous - never let it be said that I don't enjoy a challenge!

My job also includes curating the Carr Gallery and the Hall Community Gallery at the Willard Arts Center, each of which has around four exhibitions per year. Now, this is FUN. I get to spend time researching artists, looking at art, and making decisions about the people and artworks I want to feature here. I've booked my first few shows for next year and I'm very excited to share them with the community (and you!).

I was thrilled to find a job here that fit so perfectly with my passions for art and technology. The salary drop was a bit of a shocker (I took a 69% pay cut - ouch), but I'm excited to be doing something that inspires and challenges me. I also have a studio! I've joined the artists in residence at the Willard Arts Center and have a fabulous space with a red floor that will hopefully motivate me to paint again. The people are great, the work is fun, the house is a home, and the mountains are in sight. We made it!

Whew.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018, August: Idaho Falls Mom's Blog!

I'm incredibly proud to be a contributor for the new Idaho Falls Mom's Blog , which launched today! I'm hopeful it will be a great motivator for my writing, but also a way to meet local moms. I'm useless at meeting new people and this group should force me to be social - it already has once when we took our headshots (which look amazing, btw). Writing a post or two each month for the mom's blog means I will definitely be neglecting this site - so check out my posts over there. I plan to write about ARTitorium stuff, crafting with a toddler, and general parenting topics (next post - potty training!).

2018, May: It’s Mother’s Day, but who am I?

My husband recently got a new hobby. It takes him away from the house for a few hours one weekend morning almost every week. It's making him very happy and doesn't seem to cost too much, so I should be thrilled, but it's pissing me off. Why? I'm not entirely sure. It could be because it means after an exhausting week of working and dealing with the kids every morning and evening, I'm left alone with them for a few hours when I could really use some back-up. Maybe it's because I don't feel like I get to have a hobby of my own right now. Or it's because I'm so, so, tired and would like to take an undisturbed nap. Or have a lie-in. Or just sit in peace and quiet for 20 minutes. Everything I do revolves around the kids: their interests, needs, attention spans, and schedules. I don't really mind this, I even enjoy it most of the time. I'm stuck in this weird place where I'm sad that I don't really have any friends to hang out with, but i

Pulse Endurance Run 2023

I ran the 12-hour Pulse Endurance Run in Eagle Island State Park near Boise on Saturday. It was one of the most incredible races and days of my life! I was somewhat trained. In December, I managed 8 hours/35 miles in the Dizzy Horse Backyard Ultra challenge. In January, I accomplished 27 miles overnight at The Long Night event. Three weeks prior to race day I ran around the Greenbelt Temple loop for over 6 hours, getting to 30 miles. But then I lost all motivation and did very little until race day. I know that you're supposed to taper a couple of weeks before a long race, but I think what I did looked more like quitting! I blame the snow. The Pulse loop is 2.8 miles of dirt road and trail. You choose between 48 hours (madness!), 24 hours, 12 hours, and 6 hours. For the 12 and 6 hour races, you had the additional choice of day or night. You then run around the loop as many times as you can within the time limit. Only complete loops count towards your distance, so for the last hour