Skip to main content

2015, January: Pondering Curation

Part of my year-old job at the Idaho Falls Arts Council is to plan, curate, and install 8-10 visual art exhibitions every year in two galleries at the Willard Arts Center.
I was a little intimidated by this at first. Curators at the Smithsonian Institution typically have PhDs, are required to regularly publish scholarly articles and books, and take their work very seriously. I wasn't 100% sure I was qualified to "curate" (albeit on a much, much smaller scale), and I've never been great at being intellectual, academic, or even serious about art.

However, it quickly became the best aspect of my job. I enjoy finding artists and planning exhibitions. I LOVE seeing new works in person for the first time and deciding where they should go in the gallery. I'm less fond of patching/painting, unpacking, hanging, and lighting, but the end result typically makes up for the hours of physical labor. I still don't know if I'm doing it correctly though. I select artists because I like their work.

I might like something because it displays craftsmanship in a particular medium or an unusual approach to subject or technique. I might just like it because it's pretty, which I'm sure is a giant sin in the world of real curators. I'm a big fan of visible, expressive brushstrokes in painting and I love scenes of wilderness, particularly mountains. I put artworks next to other artworks because the subjects are similar or the colors complement each other. Sometimes I put works together because they contrast one another, such as a panoramic photograph of mountains next to an expressive painting of a dancer.
Most of all, I don't worry about it. I play with the artworks until they work together to me and then I hang them and call it done. Some artists who have come in to help with the installation of their work have been surprised at my laid-back approach to curation. Am I doing it wrong? I don't know. Fortunately, unlike the curators at the Smithsonian, I do not have to worry about a major art critic tearing apart my choices. I've had artists in group shows unhappy with where I placed their work, but I think that is unavoidable when each gallery boasts prime locations as well as less favorable corners that all need to be filled. At the end of the day, I enjoy the opportunity to highlight the kind of artwork that I think should be highlighted, and that's what I think being a curator in this kind of setting is all about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2016, January: Who Should Pay for the Arts

Working for a small nonprofit after the Goliath that is the Smithsonian has been an eye-opening experience. We're constantly doing - as my boss likes to call it - "the hustle." A great deal of time, energy, and resources is spent (and stress, sleepless nights, and several tears are experienced) while chasing funding instead of working on the mission, while the mission remains crucial to bringing in the money as well as being the reason we're all here. It's difficult to maintain that balance while keeping the organization afloat and the staff (mostly) sane. It's made me think a great deal about who should pay for what we do. I believe the arts are critically important and I am incredibly proud that a town the size of Idaho Falls (serving a population of around 100,000 in the city and surrounding rural areas) has art galleries, a large, historic theater that brings in nationally touring productions, and the-first-of-its-kind interactive art and technology cent...

2018, August: Idaho Falls Mom's Blog!

I'm incredibly proud to be a contributor for the new Idaho Falls Mom's Blog , which launched today! I'm hopeful it will be a great motivator for my writing, but also a way to meet local moms. I'm useless at meeting new people and this group should force me to be social - it already has once when we took our headshots (which look amazing, btw). Writing a post or two each month for the mom's blog means I will definitely be neglecting this site - so check out my posts over there. I plan to write about ARTitorium stuff, crafting with a toddler, and general parenting topics (next post - potty training!).

Guns, Art, and Cowboys: A Visit to The Center for the West

My family headed to northwest Wyoming for Spring Break, spending time in Thermopolis, Cody, and Dubois. The primary reason for our trip was to visit the Buffalo Bill Center for the West in Cody. Having worked in museums for most of my professional career, I am a complete museum geek, so I was excited to discover that the Center for the West was not too far away from here (and even closer when the roads in Yellowstone are open!). This facility is amazing! It’s actually five museums in one - Cody Firearms Museum, Whitney Western Art Museum, Draper Natural History Museum, Buffalo Bill Museum, and Plains Indian Museum. It really does have something for everyone. Now before my next statement, you need to understand that my kids are 6 and 3 and generally insane. They cannot sit still, are incapable of being quiet, and completely lack patience: We spent almost six hours at the Center for the West. Six hours. Can you believe it? I cannot. Each of the five museums is the perfect size. Not so b...