Skip to main content

2015, March: Declander and the Curse of the Crying Mummy

Our time in the NICU was hard, but in many ways the first days/weeks* at home were even harder. I was thoroughly unprepared for how overwhelmed and incompetent I would feel as a new Mum. As soon as we got home, any progress we'd made with breastfeeding backtracked. We no longer had the nurses to help and reassure me and my stress levels peaked (again). Declan rarely woke to eat, so we were constantly setting an alarm to make sure he didn't go more than 4 hours between feedings. He spent most of the feedings alternating between screaming at my boobs and falling asleep.
Eventually, and thanks to some neighborly advice, we discovered that gas relief drops would calm him enough to latch and we started moving forward again. For the first few days we were still supplementing with breast milk by bottle and I was still pumping. This meant that the whole process took at least 90 minutes and usually around 2 hours. Then there were just 2 more hours until the alarm sounded for the next round. I was a wreck (again). I felt like I was falling into a deep, dark hole and there was no relief. I saw a future in which I would never sleep more than an hour or so, and I would never be able to do anything except feed and cry. I wasn't finding time to eat and barely had an appetite anyway. I dreaded each feeding and cried with Declan whenever he couldn't latch.

Four days after coming home and with guidance from the lactation consultant, we decided he was spending enough time feeding that I could stop pumping. Hallelujah! But we were still setting the alarm for feedings and good LORD how I hated that sound. All I could think about during each feeding was how much time there was left until the next one began. This made me even more irritable when Declan took his time about it. Our life was a giant countdown clock on repeat. It didn't help anything to think like this, but I couldn't stop. I begged Christian to let me give up breastfeeding.** I worried that Declan wasn't eating enough and that my milk production was slowing. I cried some more, a lot more. Who knew there were so many tears in me?

One week rolled by since coming home and Declan returned to his birth weight. Our pediatrician recommended that we switch from wake-to-feed to feed-on-demand, which meant no more alarms! The first afternoon and night of this were amazing and I was full of optimism and hope for the future. But then the next day Declan woke every 90 minutes to feed. 90 minutes! Giving me barely time to catch my breath between each one. He hardly slept that day or night between feedings, fussing and crying the whole time. I cried some more (surprise), and desperately wanted to quit again.

The next day was calmer, with fewer feedings and less crying from both of us. That was yesterday. Today feels good so far, though I'm back to worrying that he's not getting enough. It never ends. But I haven't cried in 24 hours and that alone is progress. :)

* The hard times/baby blues are by no means over yet.
** I imagine it won't be the last time I make that plea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018, May: It’s Mother’s Day, but who am I?

My husband recently got a new hobby. It takes him away from the house for a few hours one weekend morning almost every week. It's making him very happy and doesn't seem to cost too much, so I should be thrilled, but it's pissing me off. Why? I'm not entirely sure. It could be because it means after an exhausting week of working and dealing with the kids every morning and evening, I'm left alone with them for a few hours when I could really use some back-up. Maybe it's because I don't feel like I get to have a hobby of my own right now. Or it's because I'm so, so, tired and would like to take an undisturbed nap. Or have a lie-in. Or just sit in peace and quiet for 20 minutes. Everything I do revolves around the kids: their interests, needs, attention spans, and schedules. I don't really mind this, I even enjoy it most of the time. I'm stuck in this weird place where I'm sad that I don't really have any friends to hang out with, but i

2018, August: Idaho Falls Mom's Blog!

I'm incredibly proud to be a contributor for the new Idaho Falls Mom's Blog , which launched today! I'm hopeful it will be a great motivator for my writing, but also a way to meet local moms. I'm useless at meeting new people and this group should force me to be social - it already has once when we took our headshots (which look amazing, btw). Writing a post or two each month for the mom's blog means I will definitely be neglecting this site - so check out my posts over there. I plan to write about ARTitorium stuff, crafting with a toddler, and general parenting topics (next post - potty training!).

Pulse Endurance Run 2023

I ran the 12-hour Pulse Endurance Run in Eagle Island State Park near Boise on Saturday. It was one of the most incredible races and days of my life! I was somewhat trained. In December, I managed 8 hours/35 miles in the Dizzy Horse Backyard Ultra challenge. In January, I accomplished 27 miles overnight at The Long Night event. Three weeks prior to race day I ran around the Greenbelt Temple loop for over 6 hours, getting to 30 miles. But then I lost all motivation and did very little until race day. I know that you're supposed to taper a couple of weeks before a long race, but I think what I did looked more like quitting! I blame the snow. The Pulse loop is 2.8 miles of dirt road and trail. You choose between 48 hours (madness!), 24 hours, 12 hours, and 6 hours. For the 12 and 6 hour races, you had the additional choice of day or night. You then run around the loop as many times as you can within the time limit. Only complete loops count towards your distance, so for the last hour